10.09.2013

What I ate Wednesday: whole grains

It's Wednesday, a foodie's favorite day!



For this week I want to talk for a minute about whole grains. I'm still enjoying a macrobiotic diet, and this means incorporating a lot of whole grains into meals. I have a lot of bulk grains in my pantry... my goal over the next few weeks is to try to actually eat them. Some of them I use a lot like these:



We make popcorn on the stove a few nights a week. I tend to make brown rice pretty regularly, and I use the oats to make either oatmeal, homemade granola, or oatmeal cookies!


I made these on Friday - they are vegan oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, dried cherries, walnut and shredded zucchini! They were amazing, I'll be posting the recipe soon for sure.
 


These, on the other hand are used a bit less frequently. The bulgur I do like to use to make tabbouleh salad, but I need to find some other recipes too. Kasha is really good in warm salads, but I haven't made any in awhile. I have no idea why I bought the barley. If anyone has any suggestions for this one, I'd really appreciate them! And the wild rice just needs to get used up. 


These are more popular around our house. I love quinoa and make it at least once a week. It has the wonderful features of being both really easy to cook, and super good for you. I usually make it with black beans, corn and avocado for a kind of Mexican inspired dish. I need to try some new stuff with it too though. I'd like to try it for breakfast sometime.

Wheatberries are so delicious, but so much work. You have to soak them overnight, and then cook them for almost an hour. I do love the texture of them though. I made my favorite, wheat berry waldorf salad last week from this recipe at the whole foods website. This is such a good fall food!! Nutty, chewy, cinnamon and apples... so good.


I cook a lot of lentils. They are little powerhouses of nutrition, and they're super easy to cook. They only take about 20 minutes, and no soaking required.

This weekend I roasted some squash and made lentil soup to eat during the week


Now I'm at my desk with a yummy lunch of lentil stuffed squash!


Hope you're enjoying fall and all the warm comfort foods that come with it!

2 comments:

Ksenija @ Health Ninja said...

Spaghetti squash makes for such amazing fall dishes! I just roasted up one today. And regarding the barley: in Russia they use it either in soups or for warm salads. I love it both ways.

maepress said...

Great! Thanks for the tip, I think I've had it in soups before.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails