10.02.2013

Adventures in macrobiotics

Good afternoon friends, it's time for another What I ate Wednesday post!


Hope everyone is having a great week so far, I'm excited that it's almost fall break and after tomorrow I will have FIVE days of no teaching!!

I don't have any spooky snacks yet, but I do have quite a few healthy treats. This week I'm embarking on a voyage into macrobiotics. If you don't know what macro is, the short definition is a Japanese influenced way of eating. The long definition is a diet that includes lots of whole grains and veggies, and limits meat, dairy and sugar. You eat according to the seasons, and try to incorporate a lot of sea vegetables and fermented foods. It is a very simple and healthy diet. I'm going to be writing more about it as I'm working on my own diet, so stay tuned!


First up is breakfast, which consists of a piece of whole grain sourdough toast with almond butter, a hard boiled egg and coffee. The coffee is not really macro, but they do recommend that if you must eat bread, to eat sourdough.





Second comes an awesome work meal.  A gorgeous kale salad with avocado, fresh peppers and sunflower seeds plus a bowl of azuki bean and acorn squash stew.
 




For snacking, I've made one of my favorite recipes of all times, wheat berry waldorf salad. This has fresh honey crisp apples, walnuts, raisins, wheat berries and parsley. All covered with a dressing of apple cider, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, a little lemon juice and cinnamon and nutmeg. Get in my belly!! This stuff is sooooo good. For breakfast, a side or just to snack on as you read a scary novel. (check back on Friday for my review of this unbelievably scary book).








Finally, for dinner I had a super simple macro bowl.



A macro bowl is an easy way to get your macrobiotic fix. It starts with a good whole grain, (like brown rice, showed here) adds some protein, like beans or tofu, and then lots of veggies. Usually you'll see some pickled or fermented veggies in there too. Plus a little seaweed.


I'll be working on these bowls and we'll see what sorts of fun combinations I can come up with!

2 comments:

Serena said...

Do you make your own fermented veggies?

maepress said...

I made some pickled radishes, but I have yet to try anything else. I would like to try to make sauerkraut though, I've heard it's not hard.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails