9.18.2013

Couch to 5k review


I've never been a runner. I remember cheating in gym class to get out of running a single mile. I wouldn't even run if someone was chasing me. It's been a running joke (pun intended) with my husband that he's never, in the ten years we've been together, seen me run. Not once. 

But two weeks ago something changed. I suddenly got the urge to take up running. Me. Who's never run in her life. I'm in good shape though, I dance, do yoga, go biking, do HIIT workouts, hike etc... So I'm not a potato. But, running was something I hadn't tried yet. 

I think that it was the fact that I have a lot of friends that run. And the fact that we now live in a place where people run by our house a lot. We live on a road that leads to a big park, that has a bridle path, so you can run apart from the traffic. There are tons of races and marathons here. So running has been on my mind a lot. 

First I had to get some shoes. That's a picture of them. I bought them at the Zappos outlet near my house. I have no idea if they are good or not! 

Then, I downloaded this app, C25k free. My running friends recommended it. If you're not familiar with it it's a way to very slowly work yourself up to being able to run for 20 minutes without stopping. Here's a shot of the app. 


There's three workouts per week. This is the first week, so there's a five minute walking warmup, then the app will tell you to run for one minute, then walk for 90 seconds and alternate back and forth for 20 minutes. I love it because you can listen to music and it will chime in and tell you when to stop and start. 

Well, how is it going? 

So, last week I started with the intention of doing Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I did Monday and Wednesday, although I will confess that a few times the nice lady told me to run and I just kept walking. Only twice though. 

Then, I missed a few days. A week actually. So today I came home from work, strapped on the shoes and ran again. I'm starting week 1 over, and I'm not going to move on to week 2 until I've done all of week 1, in a single week. 

Today I am pleased because I did not cheat at all and ran every time. So maybe I'm a little stronger than I was. 

I have to say, running isn't torture. It's not my favorite thing, but it's not the worst. I do have to keep myself from dancing down the street when the good songs come on though! I'd always rather be dancing!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails