11.04.2012

Recipe Time! Sugar-free Vegan Pumpkin Muffins

Happy daylights savings time!

In celebration of the fact that I got to sleep an extra hour today, I thought I'd whip up some pumpkin muffins for breakfast. Right now, I'm on a quest to find the perfect vegan pumpkin muffin recipe that is also sugar free. There are some really tasty recipes out there: like this one from the post punk kitchen, but they call for A LOT of  sugar.

The recipe I'm about to share uses only maple syrup as a sweetener! I think that the muffins are delicious and sweet enough, but if you're used to tooth-hurting sweetness in your muffins you might be a little disappointed. (and you might want to use the recipe linked above!)

These muffins are very healthy, they use spelt flour, which is high in protein and doesn't require as much liquid, which is great for vegan recipes. It does contain a little gluten though.




Sugar-Free Vegan Pumpkin Muffins
preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C)


In a large bowl, mix your dry ingredients:
(we are trying to decide a new color for our kitchen - hence the paint chips in the background :)





2 1/4c Spelt Flour
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

To this bowl, add 1 1/2 cups of pumpkin puree



Finally, add your wet ingredients





1/3 c coconut oil (plus extra to coat the pan 
2/3 c maple syrup
1/2 c non-dairy milk (I used soy)
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
add pumpkin seeds (optional)

HINT - I like to measure out my oil and add it first, then add the maple syrup using the same measuring cup - this way the syrup slides right out.  

portion batter into a greased muffin pan, then bake for 20-22 minutes.


Then the best part - eat!!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails