10.04.2012

Loving yoga

This month I have taken on a special challenge. I've mentioned it a few times in the last posts, but just in passing. For the month of October, I've challenged myself to to 30 minutes (at least) of yoga every single day.

I chose to make this challenge for two reasons, one is that I rediscovered my love of yoga recently, thanks to an incredibly inspiring class. Two, I feel like fall is an excellent time to shed those things that no longer serve you, and to look deeply within. This month not only will I be challenging myself to get on the mat everyday, but I will also be examining things off the mat too.

As a celebration, I will be journaling, reading inspirational books and reviewing them, and I will be creating some yoga-related crafts. I'm also going to be revamping our home studio.

When we first bought this house last year, it was full of people, dogs, cats and garbage. Not a pretty picture. But we were able to look past the junk and see this house for it's potential. This house could simply be the house of our dreams. My husband and I have always wanted to have some land, we both love gardening, landscaping, animals and wildlife. But we also love being around people, and the thought of living far out of town just wasn't realistic. So we made up our minds to find a place in town, biking distance from work, that had at least an acre. It was a challenge, but we found this place and it was perfect. It even has a guest house that we could rent out, but eventually hope to use as just a guest house, or even an artist's retreat.

The first 4 or 5 months we spent fixing up that rental property, to get the extra income asap. This summer we've been working on the yard. Here's some before and after shots.

This is our backyard before, with lots of junk and weeds

here is the backyard in progress, in the back is the rental property



 We've taken out a lot of dead trees, random junk and rocks, added a new lawn, and a fire pit. This fall we will start planting new trees and begin landscaping


This is the view towards the front of the house. Our house is on the left. eventually we will move that fence forward and install a veggie garden. To the right is a pond area that will eventually be cleaned up and turned into a japanese garden. One thing at a time though!

Since the weather is starting to get cooler and the days shorter, we will put some of our yard plans on hold and turn our attention towards the interior of the house, which also needs a LOT of work.

My goal this month - as I was saying before - is to work on fixing up our yoga room. One thing that got both my husband and I very excited when we bought the place was this beautiful sun room on the back of the house. We've been using it as a yoga room occasionally, but I'd like to decorate it even more.


The other day I spent some time cleaning up, moving in our houseplants from outside and rearranging the place


I still need to get cushions for the couch in the corner!


The afternoon sun in this room is really wonderful


Ideally, we'd like to install a new floor, it's hard to tell from this photo, but most of those vinyl tiles are peeling up. But other than that (and cleaning the windows!), this room is almost perfect in my opinion. I feel peaceful just hanging out in there.

Yesterday I skipped the morning practice, and did an evening practice after I got home from work. I used this powerful sequence from the blog Joy of Yoga. I have to give a shout out to this blog. The numerous sequences she has is going to make having a home practice really fun!

I also have to report that after doing yoga just four days in a row, I am feeling stronger and more vibrant. It's been so great to reconnect to my practice!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails