9.17.2012

Planning Ahead

I don't know about you guys but I am not much of a morning person.  Most days, getting up is a serious challenge. However, even though I'm a bear in the morning, I'd like my mornings to be more fun and relaxing. Currently, I barely have enough time to throw lunches together, get dressed and look halfway presentable, and end up drinking my coffee in the car.

What I would like is to have a morning where I spend a little time sipping my morning beverage in quiet, either reflecting or reading, and still have time to do everything else I'd like to!

I have some plans for making this possible, and I will share these over the next couple of weeks as I start to embark on a process to change my morning routine.

The first step - is to have a really good breakfast. Not just a granola bar on my way out the door, but something that will fill me up, make me feel loved and taste yummy. Enter the amazing wonders of overnight oats. 


Overnight oats are just an easy way to prepare some oatmeal the night before, so it's ready to eat in the morning. I generally eat mine cold, but you could certainly pop it in the microwave for 45 seconds to warm it up. I might even try this on cold days. It's healthier than instant, and easier than stove top.

Here's what you will need:

Equal parts of oats and milk (I use soymilk)
(for example - 1/2c oats + 1/2c milk)
I used 1 cup of each last night, because I was making enough for both Skater Girl and I. Pour this into a bowl with a lid.

To this mixture you can add whatever your heart desires. To this bowl I added a couple of super ripe plums, you can add bananas, blueberries, peaches, any fruit you'd like really.

I also like to add some healthy extras, like chia seeds. (I added a tablespoon of seeds)

And sometimes a little sweetener - honey or maple syrup. Not too much is needed though, because the fruit is so sweet.  Of course, if you use vanilla milk, that would be really tasty and you might omit the sweeteners.


Pop it in your fridge the night before. (ahem, yes that's donald duck oj - the Oak Man's fave)


In the morning the oats have absorbed all the milk and you have an easy and tasty breakfast!


Enjoy the extra couple of minutes you saved. This morning I was up at 6:30, and after brushing my teeth and  drinking a cup of warm water with lemon, I relaxed for a bit with my oats and read some advice about establishing a morning routine.

This week I'm just starting with getting up at 6:30am. That's the first step. I'm feeling pretty good after my relaxing morning, and I had plenty of time to devote to getting ready for work and getting the kiddo ready for school. We'll see how the rest of the week goes!

2 comments:

Kiersten @ Oh My Veggies said...

Yes, overnight oats are the best breakfast ever! :D I am seriously groggy in the morning, sometimes even pouring cereal into a bowl is just too much for me to handle. I haven't tried making it with plums, so I'm going to have to do that soon while they're in season!

Y is for Yogini said...

i looooove oatmeal — any time, day or night. ;) it's so comforting and excellent fuel. love your little honey bear. he looks like good company. xo!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails