12.12.2011

Supermarket Showdow: final showdown!

It's time for the Trader Joe's edition!!

Grand Total $65.05

Before you freak out - please note that there were several items on the list that I didn't manage to get. I've italicized them. This was either because I couldn't find them, or because we just have too many at this point (I'm looking at you eggplant!)

FRUITS AND VEG
apples (4)......................3.96
bananas.........................1.14
scallions.........................couldn't find
grapes............................2.99 <-------- what!
celery..............................did not get
garlic (2)..............................1.29
parsley...........................couldn't find
lemons...........................0.98
carrots*...........................0.89
cucumber......................did not get
peppers.........................1.29, 1.29
greens............................2.29
onions............................0.79
eggplant........................did not get
potatoes........................2.49
sweet potatoes.............did not get


COLD CASE
rice milk*........................1.69
sliced cheese...................4.49
eggs .................................3.19
lunch meat......................3.99

PANTRY
can chickpeas*...................1.19
can artichoke hearts..........2.29
almonds (1lb bag)..............4.49
sunflower seeds (1lb bag)...1.99
applesauce*........................2.29
maple syrup........................7.99
hummus..............................2.99
bread..................................2.99
box soup...........................1.99
wraps................................2.69
falafel chips......................couldn't find
lentils...............................couldn't find
tempeh............................couldn't find! (somebody tell me where TJ's hides their tempeh)
tofu...................................1.79

If I add up the items that I didn't pick up (using Whole Foods' prices) - that totals $22.04
Even with those items added in, that brings my total to only $87.09. Still quite a bit cheaper than either store!


Okay, wrapping up -
Whole Foods total: $99.79
Valu Market total: $105.10
Trader Joe's total: $87.09

Not an enormous difference, true. Actually I find that somewhat comforting. I now know I'm not really getting robbed when I shop at whole foods (something I admit I've always thought). And I know the trip across town might be worth it. This also brings up an important question of shopping locally vs shopping organic.

Here in Louisville, we have very strong support for our local businesses. When I shop for food, I like to see this logo on it.



The impact of food travel on the earth is important to me. But I'm also interested in shopping locally for other reasons. First of all, I think its good to keep money in the community. Second, I think that it's great when cities and towns retain what is unique to them. For example, there's a pretty cool business here that makes small batch soy sauce and other condiments aged in old bourbon barrels. Bourbon Barrel Foods You couldn't really find that anywhere else, and it's a great new use for those old barrels. Spending a little change to help support a business like that is fine with me. There are so many great local businesses here. We are really blessed in that way.

So, that concludes the supermarket showdown - hope you've enjoyed it. Stay tuned for a maple syrup taste-off (since I now have three bottles!)

2 comments:

pixie658 said...

I've loved reading these. TJs hides the tempeh over by the hummus, tofu and premade lunch stuff like sandwiches. :)

I have 4 grocery lists. 1 for TJs once a month, 1 for Fresh Market once a month, 1 for farmer's market or co op weekly, and 1 for Harris Teeter weekly. It's a bit of a pain but different places have different things and it doesn't take that much extra time.

maepress said...

Yes after all of this, I might start at least sharing shopping between Whole Foods (for bulk) and Trader Joes for other stuff. I generally shop at the farmer's market in the spring, summer and fall.

In college in SC we used to call Harris Teeter the hairy peter! good times. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails