4.11.2011

Steam in my kitchen

"Talk doesn't cook rice"
- Chinese Proverb


So in my quest to find a good recipe for cooking rice I happened upon this handy chart for cooking all sorts of rice. Tonight I'm making brown basmati rice with Adzuki beans. I'll probably steam some veggies too.

It's interesting, there are all sorts of opinions out there about how to cook the perfect pot of brown rice. Apparently, you are supposed to soak it for a couple of hours first. I'll try that tomorrow, I'll have to remember to start the soak as soon as I get home from work. And I guess in macrobiotic cooking they generally have a rule to use different cooking methods for different seasons. I'm glad it's spring, because I use the heavy pot method, and I'm not about to buy a pressure cooker for cooking rice. Although, this post about using a Le Crueset pot is making me want to buy one. I've only been lusting after these pots for about 4 years. It's a shame that I didn't think to ask for one as a wedding gift! Sometimes you can find them at TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning, I might have to go a hunting.



I also made a big batch of yummy granola (you can see my rice pot in the background). The granola recipe can be found here, and it's the best one I've made so far. It's got a little bit of sugar, but shhhh, don't tell. Oh, my house smells delicious! And it's all so warming on a cold and rainy afternoon.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails