11.17.2010

Day 13: 30 posts of truth




"I will go where I will go, and I will jettison all dead weight. And I will use these words for kindling, and I will sleep by the garden gate. My garden with grow so high - that I will be completely hidden"


Dear Mountain Goats,
Just wanted to let you know that your music has been there for me through all sorts of tough times. I used to listen to Nine Black Poppies in my attic apartment in Charleston, when I was getting through my last year of school. A boyfriend who had decided to move to a cultish art commune gave me a tape of your stuff before he left and I fell in love with it. I bought Sweden and was completely hooked. No one could ever understand. I kind of liked that it seemed like a secret band. Then there was a time after I moved to Idaho when I would just listen to The Coroner's Gambit on vinyl over and over and over again, sitting at home alone and missing lots of people. All Hail West Texas came at a perfect time when I was driving across country and could sing along loudly. It's still a dream of mine to get to see you in concert one day. And it's probably about time that I got a new album. In fact, I'm driving to St. Louis tonight, and I'll bring a couple of these along. Anyway, thanks for the memories and the poetry. Keep on rockin.

2 comments:

pixie658 said...

Did you see this post?

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/74548

maepress said...

that is sweet! and sums it up pretty nicely. Yes, I am *exactly* the kind of person who likes lines like, "we tried to fight the creeping sense of dread with temporal things"

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails