5.02.2010

A new month

The time when I need discipline the most is the time that discipline is the hardest. This will be a lesson that will take me a long time to learn I fear. But that's when it is discipline, isn't it? When you don't want to do something and you do it anyway?

Having a practice, or routine is becoming such a central theme in my life right now. I know it is what I need, but like many things that are good for you - it's not that appealing. Slowly though, it is becoming more so. I missed practice this weekend, Friday from being too hungover, and today from being too tired. It's Derby weekend, there have been visits from out of town friends, parties and all kinds of events. I think it's okay that my practice lapsed. Then I was becoming anxious today about it and thinking that I must practice tomorrow no matter what -- surprise, my body had other plans. In Ashtanga yoga a woman's first three days of her cycle are a time of rest. Looks like I'm going to have to take a rest. It also looks like there might be a break in the thunderstorms tomorrow, so I can at least ride my bike to work. I feel sluggish after all of this partying and no exercise.

Here's the great thing though, I am actually craving it now. I miss it, I want it. I haven't felt that way in years! I am thankful for that. I am also thankful for all the wonderful friends that we have here. I have just never felt so surrounded by interesting, kind, creative and smart people as I do here in Louisville. And I'm always reminded of that this time of year. So I'll trade out some discipline for good friends, great food and fun times this weekend. That's okay too. Happy Derby everybody!

3 comments:

B. Miller said...

Hope you had a great Derby day.

As for establishing a routine... This is difficult for me as well - has been since I was a kid (as you know). Thanks, attention deficit disorder! I wish you luck in getting your brain to function the way you want it to.

maepress said...

I really hope that I don't have ADD. I feel like I do though. I put up a sign on my desk this morning that says "Write First" So I will not do anything until I do.

B. Miller said...

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if you *did* have ADD (just remembering our sordid high school days), but by this point in your life you've found ways to cope without medication. It's just one of those things. I don't think about it much; it's just the way my brain is wired.

Hope you're doing well with the writing!! :D

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails