4.21.2010

trying new grains



So this is Quinoa. I've decided to try to incorporate some new grains into our meals. Quinoa is super easy to make, which is a plus. You cook it the same as rice - with 2 cups of water for every cup of grain. Bring to a boil cover and simmer for 20 minutes. It's got a nice nutty flavor and a slight crunch. The best part is, it has as much protein and calcium as milk, and contains almost a complete set of amino acids. Pretty awesome. I made some last night with a vegetable curry. After it was done cooking I stirred in some fennel seeds. It was yummy. The nice part is I can buy it in bulk at Whole foods. I've tried both the red and white varieties and can't tell a taste difference, but I like the look of the red.

So, I'm on day three of Mysore style practice this week. It's my goal to put in a full five days, and then I'll let Sunday be optional. We've got a lot going on this weekend, so I may not make it. I've started doing headstands this week. It's surreal. At 7AM, while other people are waking up - I'm doing a headstand. I have never done this before and I'm so excited how my practice is really opening me up to conquering fears and challenges all the time. I love how no matter how good one gets, there's always more to learn.


And It's Derby time here in the 'Ville! My favorite time of year! So many fun things -- fireworks, art fairs, races, The Pegasus Parade, the steamboat race, outdoor concerts, and best of all, derby parties! Excitement abounds. This year some friends and I will be heading down to the track early one morning to see the horses go through their morning training. That sounds really fun.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails