4.16.2010

Thinking about calories

I went to try on my summer clothes the other morning, the one's that had been in storage, and nothing fits anymore. It was very depressing. I decided that not only do I need to continue to exercise, but I need to watch what I'm eating as well. There's this great website that I joined last year and used for a few weeks called My Food Diary. It's actually pretty remarkable in helping you understand how to eat. First of all, it will calculate for you a safe amount of calories to eat in order to loose weight or maintain weight. For me, that turns out to be about 1200-1500 calories a day. (to loose a half pound to a pound a week). So, you enter in all the food that you've eaten that day, and it gives you this great little output. Here's mine from yesterday:

Food Summary
MealCaloriesFatCarbsProtein
Breakfast2457.2g36.5g12.1g
Lunch35319.3g37.9g8.9g
Dinner62513.9g111.3g18.9g
Total
Percentage of Calories 1
122340.4g
28%
185.7g
58%
39.9g
12%
1 Typical Percentages: Fat 20-35%, Carbohydrates 45-65%, and Protein 10-35%.

If every day were like today ...
You would lose 1.2 lbs per week.
You would reach your goal weight of 116 lbs on 5/7/2010.
In one month, you would weigh 114.7 lbs.
In three months, you would weigh104.1 lbs.

At a glance ...
Notes
Exercise! You burned 319 calories.
A high-fiber breakfast can help you lose weight and reduce your risk for heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.
No dessert! You easily saved yourself hundreds of empty calories.
You have eaten fiber-rich foods. This is a good indicator of a healthy diet.
Saturated fats only accounted for 4.6% of your calories. Good job staying below the 9% limit!
You consumed 11024 IU of vitamin A. This is 367% of the recommended daily value for women.
Too few calories. Consuming too few calories can decrease your metabolism. This will hurt your long-term weight loss efforts.
Note: Make sure you have entered all of your foods for the day.


Now, I just love having all this information. You can make all sorts of reports that show you how much different vitamins and minerals, fats, carbs whatever you've consumed. It shows you what were healthy amounts and what weren't. That what I like the most probably, since I'm not overly concerned with loosing weight, just toning up and being healthy, I like seeing what I'm lacking nutrition wise.

Plus, you can make all sorts of graphs using the info that you've given it, which makes the statistician in me squeal.

So in case you're wondering what a 300-400 calorie meal looks like, because personally I find myself surprised again and again by this, I found these great comparison photos online:








There's more of these. If you're interested I found them here
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1260

It never ceases to amaze me how much junk that we eat. I was looking at this website that talks about the nutrition content in dishes at the high end restaurant Claim Jumper. One of the dinners had 1800 calories! That's like one and a half days worth in one sitting! Crazy. I just don't think that people have any idea. And it's really easy to forget. Until I start looking in the mirror and wondering where the hell that ass came from. :)

Anyway, that's enough diet talk. It's boring and I really don't want to turn into one of those people that talks about it all the time. I just thought I'd let you all know what I'm doing about it, because for me - keeping a daily log works wonders. I have a very hard time eating a bag of skittles knowing that I'm going to have to add it to the foods that I've eaten for the day.

2 comments:

Even said...

Very cool illustrations. I've seen something like there here as well (less meal oriented):

I like this one because it includes candy and sometimes I f***in need candy:
http://is.gd/bCkY5

And this one:
http://is.gd/bCkTT

It's insane that with the growth hormone/chemical-whatever apples in Krogers, you don't need to even eat a whole one.

maepress said...

yeah, but the problem is that they are just totally empty calories. Would I rather give up my 200 calorie 4PM snack to a handful of jelly beans or some nuts and an apple? Believe me, one will make me much less happy in the long run.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails