4.23.2010

Getting stuff done


(The view from my desk)

It's a rainy morning here in grad student world. I started my day with a 6AM sharp led class, which is both challenging and invigorating. I'm sure that this rain would be having a very different effect on me had I not. But now the child is off to school and I'm quietly sitting in my home office with a cup of coffee. I should go in to my lab. Sometimes that's the hardest decision I make all day. Working at home is just so much nicer, more comfortable, more peaceful. I've got a pretty good plan for the next 6 days or so to get my paper finished before the month is out. This is a paper that has been stalling my progress considerably, and making it hard for me to really think about anything else. But I broke it down into small daily goals, and by the end of next week, if I follow that plan, it will be done. At least, ready for the first round of edits. But what that means is that I will actually release it to someone else to read. Which is a big step. I have such a hard time sometimes just doing stuff that's hard. I know that sounds like a silly statement, but it's true. I don't know what it is, but I almost feel like when I HAVE to do something, suddenly I am just incapable of doing it. I really balk at feeling like I'm being forced to do something. Even if it's something I actually want to do!! I'm going to have to get past this of course. And I've gotten light years better than I used to be, that's for sure. I'll always get around to it eventually, but man my procrastination skills are amazing!! But next week I will be saying "I think I can I think I can I think I can" and I will get this thing done. I will stop being a perfectionist and just hand it over, no matter what kind of crap I think it is. Okay, enough playing around. I'm going in.

2 comments:

B. Miller said...

Dealing with this too. I've reached the most important chapters of the novel and I just don't want to write them. Got a million reasons why. Part of me is still really excited, but the rest of me is just intimidated and worried that I won't be able to make it what I want. I've been going back and forth so much, I'm just sick of myself.

Procrastinators of the world unite! Beh.

maepress said...

we will unite - tomorrow...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails