3.17.2010

day one of a new obsession



Although I generally feel that a lot of these things that I get all excited about are usually some form of procrastination, an underlying theme in my life for the past few years has been how to fit in exercise to my already chock-full life. This is no easy feat when you have a child, and precious few hours to work (combined with the fact that I really hate carving out part of my day to exercise). Generally it just happens as part of what I'm doing, for example - biking to work, or going swimming in the summer. But for a long time I've really wanted something more regular, something that I would do no matter what. I'm tired of huffing and puffing when I get up the stairs, and looking at my ass in the mirror and frowning. Oh yeah, and I HATE gyms. I thought that I would take up running (yeah, remember that one? ha ha) And I haven't totally given up on it, it's just so not me, again - just not a fan of the whole huffing and puffing thing.

But I discovered that there is a yoga class around the corner from my house that meets every morning at 6:15. It's an Ashtanga practice, which means that everyone there is working through the same sequence, but at different levels and different paces. It is really cool. The teacher wanted me to just come and observe today to make sure it was something I really want to do. The doing it everyday thing is not what I'm worried about, it's getting up at 6 AM. I'm not a morning person. I've never been one. I did it today, and I'm really excited about trying it out. But it's a huge commitment. Everyday. Even on Sundays! I suppose if I did do it everyday that I'd feel amazing, I've always wanted to have a daily practice, but never really had the ability to stick with it - because I've always tried to do it at home. Which, as you know is not the easiest thing to do. But I think though, since it's so convenient - and it's at a good time, before any of us have to go anywhere, and it's a class full of people who are really dedicated, that I can do it. I think I can I think I can. The plan is that I will start on Monday.

One problem with getting up so freaking early, is that it's now ten o'clock and I feel like I need a nap. I could not believe it when I walked in the studio this morning, after driving there--in the dark, that it was full of all these folks sweating away! I felt like the only person alive on the way over, but then you walk in and it's light and warm. It was really nice. I'm looking forward to starting. I have a real problem with sticking with things (which, if you read this blog at all, you know). If there is a beginning a middle and an end, then I follow through greatly. I can finish things I start. It's these daily routines and habits that I suck at. Every day is different for me, and that's how I like it. But for some reason this idea of doing something everyday has been a running theme lately -- I can't help but feel that the universe is trying to tell me something.

So here's my plan! (always gotta have a plan)
I start on Monday. Spring break is two weeks away, and we're going to SC. I'm going to try to go everyday until then (except Saturdays and "moon days" - whatever that means). I figure if I can stick with it for that long, then when I go on my trip I should have it down enough to be able to continue there. Grandiose, right?

How is school going you might ask? Actually pretty well. And the whole point of all this yoga thing, is that nothing about my schedule is changing, I'm just adding another hour to my day. Granted, I'll probably have to get to bed a little earlier, but that shouldn't be a problem :)

Wish me luck! It is St. Patty's day after all.

2 comments:

pixie658 said...

I would just like to comment with !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok... now that I'm done... I LOVE that you're enjoying yoga. Second, I admire your willpower to get up so really. I hate mornings. Heehee.

ily said...

That sounds really great! Good luck at sticking to it. It's rough, I know. Someday I will again entertain the idea of exercise, yoga has always been my fave.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails