2.16.2010

Don't tell me who to love



"When I have a little money, I buy books. If any is left over, I buy food and clothes" -Erasmus

Lately I feel like all I'm hearing is people telling me to get rid of my books, or that books are going out of style, or they are outdated, bad for the environment and a waste of space.

Well look minimalists - I'm sick of it. I don't want an ereader. I don't want to only keep around the books that I'm going to read and get rid of the rest. Having a stack of books on my bedside table doesn't stress me out, it makes me feel cozy.
I. Love. Books.

I have always liked them - and I always will. The idea of having everything digitized makes my skin crawl. Why would I want empty walls to look at when I could have floor to ceiling shelves of books? I love libraries. I love bookstores. (Especially our awesome local ones) I really rarely buy books new, but I looooove library book sales.

When I was 22 I drove across country with nothing but a truck full of books and my favorite reading chair. When I found a house, a tiny one room house under a weeping willow, I never got any furniture. I stacked my books on the floor, put a box next to my chair for my coffee cup, and slept on the floor. I was perfectly content for months. It's funny too, because I didn't grow up in a house with books. My parents do enjoy reading, but not having books around. But I loved walking to the library as a kid. I knew that my husband was the one when I met him because he immediately started looking through my books the first time he came over. And although he was also traveling, he just had to bring part of his collection of books along with him too. And he had a book press that embossed his name in the books. (he had one made for me later on)

I will always live surrounded by books. In fact, it's a dream of mine to actually have my own library one day. I don't know what it is about them that makes me happy, but I feel at peace when I'm surrounded by them. I hope they never go out of style.

(this post was inspired by this one - and advice from many simple living blogs to get rid of your books, and by a new friend whose research is the future of books.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails